Laurel Burch Cats

*I may receive revenue from links in this post, but I only ever link to items I use and recommend. 






I did this project for one of my summer classes and have also done it at the kindergarten to 6th grade school I work at. It is a fun one to do as kids like to do animal projects and this one is doable for any age. There are some great pics on the internet of Laurel Burch cats. I showed a lot of them in class to generate some ideas. I like using the chalk pastel on the black paper-it adds a fun dimension. I got this project idea from another blog-but can't remember where now. I changed it up a bit.

Supplies

Black paper or poster board
chalk pastels (good ones really do make a difference-I use Faber-Castell brand)
Prismacolor Nupastels (for outlining and accent lines)
Scratch paper
pencil


I had the kids practice drawing the body of the cat on a scratch paper first. In my summer class they could choose to do a head or a body. At school the younger kids used a poster board pattern and then I had them come up with their own pattern for inside the cat.I had the Kinders trace around just a head template. We talked alot about Laurel Burch and her use of color and pattern. Also how she did the cat's eyes (more like a human eye) I showed them samples of her work to begin with. Once they practiced what pattern they were going to use I had them do their final drawing on the black paper. They used the chalk pastels to color them and and nupastels to outline and accent. I had them either do a pattern in the background or a frame.


Below are some of the student samples:




























Comments

Post a Comment